It’s rattlesnake time in Southern California. This Is What Happens When You Get Bitten – NBC Los Angeles

After “The Princess Bride” star Cary Elwes was hospitalized after being bitten by a rattlesnake in Los Angeles, he started a conversation about what Southern Californians should do to stay safe in the “weather.” of rattlesnake”.

Elwes shared a bloody photo of a black and blue toe while in hospital for the bite, saying “He wasn’t bitten by a ROUS but by a rattlesnake.” The actor, of course, was referring to an “unusually sized rodent” from his 1987 film. Click here to see the image.

A woman in Riverside County shared that she is also recovering after being bitten by a rattlesnake in her backyard. As soon as she was bitten, she said that she could feel it moving all over her body; a tingle that reached his mouth and her lips.

Right now, in southern California, rattlesnakes are coming out of hibernation.

That’s why experts say you need to be careful when you’re outdoors: especially on walks, but also even if you’re just gardening in your backyard.

Murrieta resident Erin Mann was bitten by a rattlesnake last Friday.

She was outside her house trying to get her friend’s dog out of a patch of weeds when it happened.

“I immediately felt like I had been pricked by a thorn and when I backed up I saw a baby rattlesnake coiled up under the grass that it was trying to pull out,” Mann said.

Erin’s husband killed the rattlesnake and immediately took her to a nearby hospital.

“It was like something was going through my body: my hands were tingling, my lips were tingling, my mouth was tingling. And the whole time we got in the car, my husband was like, stay calm, stay calm,” Mann said.

His entire arm began to swell, and his finger was black and blue.


erin man

Murrieta woman bitten by rattlesnake.

“The poison and the swelling of the finger were causing a lot of pain,” he said.

Experts say rattlesnake bites will become much more common in the coming months because they are coming out of hibernation.

Dr. William Hayes is a professor of biology at Loma Linda University and is also an expert on rattlesnakes.

“Your chances of surviving are like 999 in a thousand. You might wish you were dead, but you might be alive,” Hayes said.

He says victims should head to an emergency room quickly to avoid serious tissue damage, and recovery can take days, even weeks.

“There is a common myth that [rattlesnake] babies are more dangerous. The saying is that babies cannot control the poison and release more. There is no truth in that. Babies can control the amount of poison just like adults,” Hayes said.

That’s why if you’re outdoors in hot weather, Hayes says to be extra careful, especially around weeds or brush.

Good advice, agrees Mann, still in excruciating pain from Friday’s bite.

“Being bitten is a very scary experience, especially because you feel like everything is going through you and you don’t feel like you have much control,” Mann said.

Experts also say that if you own a dog, you may want to call your local humane society and see if they offer classes on rattlesnake bite prevention.

How to handle a bite

Although bites are rare, bites from a rattlesnake can cause serious injury or death.

And according to the US Food and Drug Administration, 8,000 people are bitten in the US each year by venomous snakes, resulting in 10 to 15 deaths.

If you are bitten by a rattlesnake, there are definitely do’s and don’ts.

Make:

  • Keep calm.
  • Act quickly.
  • Take off anything that can get a possible inflammation in the affected area, such as watches, bracelets and shoes.
  • Go to the hospital as quickly as possible or call 911.

Do not:

  • Try to suck out the poison.
  • Apply a tourniquet.
  • Pack the bite area in ice.
  • Cut in or around the wound.
  • Drink alcohol.

This is what to do if a pet is bitten.

Leave a Comment