Michael Slater returns to hospital after domestic violence charges dismissed

Michael Slater has been taken to hospital for mental health reasons as domestic violence charges against him have been dismissed.

Michael Slater is under a new police investigation for an alleged incident of domestic violence, just hours before similar charges were dismissed on mental health grounds.

Slater was due to appear at Sydney’s Waverley Local Court on Wednesday morning, where he was seeking to have a series of domestic violence charges brought up under the Mental Health Act.

However, the former cricket star did not appear with his lawyer, and police prosecutor Lachlan Kirby told the court that Slater had been detained by police and paramedics on Tuesday night and taken to a mental health center on the beaches of the North Sydney.

NSW Police said in a statement they were called to a Manly unit following an alleged domestic violence-related incident.

However, Slater has not been charged.

“At approximately 9:20pm (Tuesday April 26, 2022), officers attached to the Northern Beaches Police Area Command were called to a unit on West Promenade, Manly, following reports of a domestic violence related incident. ”, the New South Wales Police said in a statement.

“Upon arrival, police were told that a 52-year-old man had allegedly assaulted a 35-year-old woman.”

Police said Slater and the woman “knew each other” and that investigations were continuing while he was in the hospital for evaluation.

Magistrate Ross Hudson was unaware of the new police investigation Wednesday morning when he ruled that Slater’s charges will be pursued on mental health grounds rather than through criminal law.

Slater’s attorney, Richard Pontello, appeared via video link and consented to have Mr. Hudson render his decision in Slater’s absence.

Slater was accused of using a mobile phone to harass his former partner between March and October last year, as well as harassing and intimidating the woman in Randwick.

According to a police statement of the facts seen by NCA Newswire, the woman went to Waverley Police Station on October 19 last year and asked for an AVO to be taken out against Slater, with whom she had previously been in a relationship.

Police prosecutors previously told the court that he was “controlling”.

He was charged with using a carriage service to threaten, harass or offend and stalk/intimidate with intent to cause fear following an alleged domestic violence-related incident at his home.

In December, he was arrested again in Manly and charged with contravening an AVO and further charged with using a shuttle service to threaten, harass or intimidate his former partner.

The court heard that Slater sent at least 66 text messages and made at least 18 phone calls to his ex-partner over approximately two and a half hours on the night of December 14.

The court heard that his ex-partner had blocked his number, but he sent her a barrage of messages via WhatsApp while registered under the name “MJS”.

Pontello last week told the court that Slater suffered from major depressive disorder and ADHD at the time of the crime, but was now in remission.

The court also heard at the time that he had relapsed into alcohol abuse.

Last Friday, Pontello told the court that Slater had spent 108 days in a rehabilitation center from January to March of this year.

He argued that there was a public interest in him being treated under the Mental Health Act so that he could continue his treatment.

The police prosecution opposed the request for treatment of the charges on mental health grounds, noting their seriousness and that he was out on bail at the time of the second set of charges.

Hudson said there was a need to deter domestic violence crimes that occurred “behind closed doors.”

Hudson said that before the crime, Slater’s mental health deteriorated while he was stuck in India during the covid pandemic, as well as while he was in hotel quarantine upon his return to the country.

He said that Slater had also used alcohol to deal with his depression after the breakup of their relationship.

Last year he was banned from Channel 7’s cricket coverage following a series of tweets directed at Prime Minister Scott Morrison while he was in the Maldives when the Indian Premier League was suspended.

Hudson described Slater’s behavior as “falling apart” and signs of deteriorating mental health.

He noted that Slater had sought treatment for his mental health.

“He has a significant illness and has done significant work since that period of time, and he should be proud of that,” he said.

He ruled that the charges be brought under the Mental Health Act and ordered Mr. Slater to adhere to a 12-month treatment plan.

Mr. Slater will also be subject to an AVO from his former partner for five years.

Leave a Comment