Michael Slater returns to hospital after domestic violence charges dismissed

Australian cricket legend Michael Slater has returned to a Sydney hospital after domestic violence charges against him were dismissed on mental health grounds.

Slater was due to appear in Waverley Local Court on Wednesday after the 52-year-old appealed to have the charges brought up under the Mental Health Act.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Lachlan Kirby told the court that Slater had been detained by police and paramedics on Tuesday night and taken to a mental health center in the North Beaches.

His attorney, Richard Pontello, appeared via video link and consented to Judge Ross Hudson making his decision in Mr Slater’s absence.

The former Test batsman was first charged in October last year after he allegedly used a ride service to threaten, harass or offend, as well as stalk or intimidate his former partner.

Slater was accused of using a mobile phone to harass his ex-partner between March and October last year, as well as stalking and intimidating the woman in Randwick between October 12 and 13.

Michael Slater is back in a mental health facility, a court has heard.  Image: NCA NewsWire/James Gourley.
Michael Slater is back in a mental health facility, a court has heard. Image: NCA NewsWire/James Gourley.Source: News Corp Australia

In December, he was arrested again in Manly and charged with contravening the AVO, as well as another charge of using a carriage service to threaten, harass or intimidate his former partner.

The former leadoff slugger sent 66 text messages and made 18 phone calls to his ex-partner over about two and a half hours on the night of Dec. 14, the court heard.

The court heard that his ex-partner had blocked his number, but he sent her a barrage of messages via WhatsApp while registered under the name “MJS”.

Pontello told the court last week that Slater suffered from various mental illnesses, including major depressive disorder and ADHD at the time of the crime, but was in remission.

He previously told the court that Slater had spent 108 days in a rehabilitation center from January to March of this year.

He argued that there was a public interest in him being treated under the Mental Health Act so that he could continue his treatment.

Michael Slater was sacked by Channel 7 last year.Source: Supplied

The police prosecution opposed the request, noting the seriousness of the charges and that he was released on bail during the second round of charges.

Hudson said there was a need to deter domestic violence crimes that occurred “behind closed doors.”

Hudson said that before the crime, Slater’s mental health deteriorated while he was stuck in India during the covid pandemic, as well as while he was in hotel quarantine upon his return to the country.

He said that Slater had also used alcohol to deal with his depression after the breakup of their relationship.

Last year he was banned from Channel 7’s cricket coverage following a series of tweets directed at Prime Minister Scott Morrison while he was in the Maldives when the Indian Premier League was suspended.

Hudson described Slater’s behavior as “falling apart” and signs of deteriorating mental health.

He noted that Slater had sought treatment for his mental health.

β€œHe has a significant illness and has done significant work since that period of time, and he should be proud of that,” he said.

He ruled that the charges be brought under the Mental Health Act and ordered Mr. Slater to adhere to a 12-month treatment plan.

Mr. Slater will also be subject to an AVO from his former partner for five years.

Leave a Comment